At Ascension, we truly believe that middle school should be a time for students to flourish, not to fear. It is our joy to see our students grow into bold, compassionate, and confident leaders through their middle school years. Our comprehensive approach, with a focus on educating the whole student in a caring Christian community, produces graduates who go on to excel in high school and beyond. Highlighted below are 14 ways we help ensure middle school students thrive at Ascension:
- Exceptional teachers who truly know and genuinely care for each student.
- Small class sizes (20 average class size) foster close relationships, lifelong friendships, and facilitate academic excellence.
- Hands-on service learning projects build compassion as students gain an understanding of some of the issues facing our world and how they can be part of the solution.
- Spanish class is incorporated in the schedule for all students. When students graduate from 8th grade they have completed the high school Spanish I curriculum and are prepared to advance to Spanish II if they choose.
- Leadership opportunities abound including athletics, student council, student ambassadors, leading worship, performing arts, and more.
- Music education is offered for all grade levels providing exposure to music history, composers, instruments, vocal performance, and more.
- Athletic teams are offered for grades 5-8 in football, volleyball, basketball, soccer, and co-ed volleyball. Ascension participates in the Tri-Valley Christian Athletic League.
- True electives where students choose from a different slate of courses each trimester.
- Annual Outdoor Education Trips provide students with enriching learning experiences that encourage them to grow personally, academically, and socially. These trips culminate in an 8th-grade class trip to Washington DC.
- Time learning outside! Our Outdoor Classroom and Organic Teaching Garden provide students with learning and growth opportunities beyond the classroom.
- Small peer advisory groups offer an avenue for leadership development, study skills, and deeper friendships to emerge.
- Valuable mentoring experience as our older students are paired with a younger buddy who the older students mentor and lead in a variety of learning activities and get to attend chapel together every week.
- Access to technology including our one to one iPad program, a mobile computer lab, and the Makerspace equips students as 21st-century learners and problem solvers with skills in coding and robotics.
- A strong faith foundation means students leave here grounded in a knowledge of who and whose they are.
Learn more about Ascension’s Middle School Program: