In 2nd grade, Mrs. Erickson creates a safe, warm, comfortable environment for learning where students can discover, gain knowledge, grow, make mistakes, and learn from those mistakes – hence the mantra, “Pobody’s Nerfect!” Students in 2nd grade learn to recognize that God made each of us different and special in our own way and each of us can contribute to the learning community. The 2nd-grade class has lots of fun together, whether they are singing songs, doing the Phonics Dance, acting out skits, writing informational books, building mathematical models, or conducting science experiments!
When asked why she loves teaching 2nd grade at Ascension, Mrs. Erickson responded, “I love to be a part of the immense growth that takes place in learning! 2nd graders are eager to learn and ready to become more independent. They truly blossom as readers and writers at this age! 2nd graders also learn to become fantastic critical thinkers and problem solvers in math, science, and in other curricular areas. In addition, I love sharing my faith with my students as we grow together on our journeys of faith.”
Highlights of the 2nd-grade-year include:
- Students go on an adventure as they dive into their core literature unit, Dinosaurs Before Dark! The unit culminates with constructing creative dioramas and story element foldables!
- A love of literature is fostered, as students get to check out two library books every week!
- Second graders polish printing skills and then get to learn cursive! They also love Writers’ Workshop!
- In 2nd grade, students learn all about people who have made a difference like Martin Luther King, Jr. Students love to make their own “I Have a Dream” mobiles!
Key Learning Objectives of 2nd Grade:
- Handwriting: polishing printing and getting an introduction to cursive writing
- Phonics: mastering long and short vowels, consonant clusters, digraphs, diphthongs, and more!
- English: writing with complete sentence structure, paragraphs, personal narratives, informational books, and persuasive pieces, as well as nouns, verbs, and adjectives
- Spelling: mastering weekly word lists and improving the spelling in our writing
- Reading: improving our reading skills by reading fiction and nonfiction with the whole group, small groups, partner groups, and reading to self
- Math: solving three-digit addition and subtraction with regrouping, graphs, money, time, measurement, fractions, multiplication, and more!
- Science: learning about the nature of science, technology and tools, plant and animal habitats and life cycles, Earth’s materials, weather, and matter
- Social Studies: learning about being members of different groups, where we live, how we all work together, being a good citizen, people who’ve made history, people who’ve made a difference, and more!
- Religion: Each week students have a learn-by-heart Bible verse and Bible lessons are provided in class and re-enforced through chapel. We also focus on Biblically based character traits throughout the year to instill lifelong habits of servant leadership.
- In addition to core academic subjects, 2nd-grade students at Ascension continue to benefit from specialties such as Spanish and music class two times per week, Art-Trek, technology, and learning in the Organic Teaching Garden.
“In second grade at Ascension, Mrs. Erickson creates a rich learning environment and provides opportunities for the children to take on age-appropriate responsibilities. I think this is so important for them to continue their growth as people. She encourages, notices and congratulates every child for personal accomplishments during the year. She enthusiastically reads with the kids daily. I notice that the kids feel safe and secure to approach her with any concern they have. She shares the love of Jesus always.”
– Kirsti, Parent