Greetings Families and Friends,
Today we are launching our 2020/21 Annual Fund. This year’s theme is “Deeply Rooted”. The Annual Fund helps to cover the gap between tuition and the cost of educating each student. The fund provides support for athletics, the arts, music, the latest technology, teaching tools and equipment, classroom renovations, and the continued development of our Nature Explore outdoor classroom.
Join us this week in celebrating all the ways our school is Deeply Rooted and please consider making a tax-deductible donation to the Annual Fund. Gifts of all sizes are greatly appreciated and are a direct investment in our students.
FUN RUN 2021 is Friday, February 19, 2021! Participants will run as many laps as they can in 10 minutes. Pledges are flat donations that can be made online by clicking on the “donate” button below, or by cash, or check. All money earned through Fun Run is used to improve the campus, and to support fun and fellowship for our families and students.
We invite you to support Ascension Fun Run with a flat donation today!
Fun Run 2021
Have you ever wondered if your child’s school is the best fit? Take 30 minutes of your spring break next week to find out if Ascension could be a better choice for your child!
OPEN TOUR DAYS: next Tuesday and Wednesday (the 16-17th) from 10 a.m.-12 p.m. No appointment necessary- just stop by!
*We will waive the $90 application fee for anyone who attends Open Tour Days and submits an application.
Now Forming at Ascension Lutheran School
Our first wave of Life Group Hosts (leaders), are trained and ready for action! Seeking fellow parents and families who want to…
Connect Develop Grow
In a most authentic way.
A Life Group is a small group that gathers to enjoy time of fellowship, scripture, and prayer. Life Groups meet different days of the week, at various times and locations. Ascension Lutheran Church and School encourages everyone to be a part of an active Life Group.
Read the Frequently Asked Questions below for more information about Life Groups. Interested in connecting to a Life Group? Click the button below to complete the form:
What is a life group? A life group is a gathering of approximately 6–12 people who meet regularly. Though groups will differ in how they do things from week to week, most groups spend time catching up with one another at the beginning, then move into a time of Christian study, and conclude in prayer. Occasionally, groups also enjoy getting together socially outside of the regularly scheduled group time. We think of it as “Doing Life Together.”
What do Life Groups study? All studies are rooted in the Christian Faith but their topics vary greatly based on the interests and needs of the group. Raising children, strengthening marriage, caring for elderly parents, or study a book or topic from the Bible are some examples. The formats range from book club like discussions where participants read between sessions to video‐based studies with no expectation of “homework” outside of meeting.
Why would I want to join a life group?
- Connection – By seeking deeper connections we develop a stronger sense of community and belonging. Meeting regularly creates opportunities for deeper friendships and creates an authentic bond between members. You’ll discover the joy of experiencing life with genuine friends who accept you for who you are and for who you are becoming.
- Encouragement – As parents, we all have our ups and downs. Meeting with people who are traveling
on the same path and in the same life stage, allows sharing of struggles and celebrating of good times.
Spiritual Growth – a small group environment is a safe place to explore, ask questions and grow in your faith.
Where do we look for guidance? We believe the Bible has a lot to say about the world in which we are raising our children. By sharing in the Word, we grow in our Faith.
How much Bible knowledge do I need? None. A life group is a safe place for individuals to learn and grow together through group discussion. People are at various points in their relationship with God and knowledge of the Bible, and we believe that is what makes the time together rich and enjoyable for all.
How often do life groups meet? The actual day and time of life group meetings are determined by each individual group. Most groups meet weekly or bi‐weekly. Often groups take a break over summer and near Christmas when school is out.
Where do life groups meet? Most groups meet in homes, but some meet at Ascension, coffee shops, etc.
Is it okay to check out a life group and not join? Certainly, you may check out a group and your decision to join can be made after your visit. No obligations.
How long does a typical life group stay together? Life groups stay together for the time period they chose
and this can vary from 6 weeks to years.
How do I join a life group? Life groups are being formed for Ascension School parents this fall. We encourage you to complete a sign‐up form (available at the school office) and return it to your child’s teacher. You will be contacted shortly by one of our life group leaders.
Questions? Use the button below if you have questions or would like more information.
All Ascension families and friends are invited to join us at the Fall Fiesta on October 6, from 4-7 PM, for an evening of fun, food, and fellowship! Free admission includes carnival games and activities. Bring cash for additional fun: Catered Taco Dinner $15 per person, raffle tickets for fabulous prizes, bake sale, petting zoo, cake walk, and bounce houses! Please RSVP below:
Today, the spotlight is on Mr. Cahill, our multi-talented middle school math teacher! This summer he has enjoyed spending quality time with his family, taking a trip to visit friends and family out east, and camping in the Redwoods. He is gearing up for the coming school year and, in addition to teaching math again he is excited to expand the Hand Chime Ensembles he introduced at our school last year and extending it to more grade levels. Mr. Cahill loves working in an environment where is able to learn and grow in his faith along with the students. His favorite thing about Ascension though is the community. “Everyone is always looking out for everyone else,” he says, “it doesn’t matter if you are a student, parent, teacher, staff, church member, or visitor – everyone is willing to lend a helping hand to make sure everyone is included.”
Mrs. Farrell has over 20 years of teaching experience, and she will be starting her 3rd school year here at Ascension as a middle school teacher and the 5th-grade homeroom teacher. She says her favorite thing about Ascension is the community stating, “I feel at home and that I belong at Ascension Lutheran School.” This summer she is enjoying spending time with friends and family and catching up on some reading! For the upcoming school year, she is looking forward to helping a new group of 5th graders to be successful in middle school!
Learn more about Middle School at Ascension
At Ascension, we truly believe that middle school should be a time for students to flourish, not to fear. It is our joy to see our students grow into bold, compassionate, and confident leaders through their middle school years. Our comprehensive approach, with a focus on educating the whole student in a caring Christian community, produces graduates who go on to excel in high school and beyond. Highlighted below are 14 ways we help ensure middle school students thrive at Ascension:
- Exceptional teachers who truly know and genuinely care for each student.
- Small class sizes (20 average class size) foster close relationships, lifelong friendships, and facilitate academic excellence.
- Hands-on service learning projects build compassion as students gain an understanding of some of the issues facing our world and how they can be part of the solution.
- Spanish class is incorporated in the schedule for all students. When students graduate from 8th grade they have completed the high school Spanish I curriculum and are prepared to advance to Spanish II if they choose.
- Leadership opportunities abound including athletics, student council, student ambassadors, leading worship, performing arts, and more.
- Music education is offered for all grade levels providing exposure to music history, composers, instruments, vocal performance, and more.
- Athletic teams are offered for grades 5-8 in football, volleyball, basketball, soccer, and co-ed volleyball. Ascension participates in the Tri-Valley Christian Athletic League.
- True electives where students choose from a different slate of courses each trimester.
- Annual Outdoor Education Trips provide students with enriching learning experiences that encourage them to grow personally, academically, and socially. These trips culminate in an 8th-grade class trip to Washington DC.
- Time learning outside! Our Outdoor Classroom and Organic Teaching Garden provide students with learning and growth opportunities beyond the classroom.
- Small peer advisory groups offer an avenue for leadership development, study skills, and deeper friendships to emerge.
- Valuable mentoring experience as our older students are paired with a younger buddy who the older students mentor and lead in a variety of learning activities and get to attend chapel together every week.
- Access to technology including our one to one iPad program, a mobile computer lab, and the Makerspace equips students as 21st-century learners and problem solvers with skills in coding and robotics.
- A strong faith foundation means students leave here grounded in a knowledge of who and whose they are.
Learn more about Ascension’s Middle School Program:
Our principal, Mrs. Jonas, can list many reasons she loves Ascension Lutheran School. Her favorite thing though is our emphasis on preparing bold, compassionate leaders to serve in a Christ-like manner. Looking ahead to the coming school year, she is excited about continuing to make the Makerspace and Outdoor Classroom integral parts of the learning experience.
Mrs. Jonas is looking forward to celebrating special milestones with her family this summer! She and her husband are celebrating their 30th wedding anniversary! Her oldest daughter is also getting married in August. She is looking forward to having many friends and relatives join them in the celebration!
An interesting fact that you might not know about Mrs. Jonas is that she absolutely loves to fish! She has fond memories of her grandpa teaching her. While she prefers trout fishing over bass, she says that so long as she’s got a pole, bait/lure, and a lake… she’s good!
We hope all our Ascension families are enjoying a wonderful summer! As you prepare to come back to school (the first day is August 27!) be sure to download the school supply list for your child’s grade level:
- Transitional Kindergarten (Seedlings)
- Kindergarten (Sprouts)
- 1st Grade
- 2nd Grade
- 3rd Grade
- 4th Grade
- 5th Grade
- 6th Grade
- 7th Grade
- 8th Grade
Also, remember to mark your calendar with the key dates for the 2018/2019 School Year!