FUN RUN 2018 is Nov 16! Support our students as they participate in this Track and Field Challenge that provides them with an opportunity to test themselves physically while raising money for Ascension Lutheran School! The events are intended to inspire a well-rounded show of physical ability while building motivation and competitive spirit.
We invite you to support an Ascension Student with a flat donation.
This year’s theme verse comes to us from James 1:19 and reminds us be “Quick to listen, slow to anger, and slow to speak.” Let us remember these words and take their meaning to heart as we journey through this school year and beyond.
All Ascension families and friends are invited to join us at the Fall Fiesta on October 6, from 4-7 PM, for an evening of fun, food, and fellowship! Free admission includes carnival games and activities. Bring cash for additional fun: Catered Taco Dinner $15 per person, raffle tickets for fabulous prizes, bake sale, petting zoo, cake walk, and bounce houses! Please RSVP below:
Ascension alum, Gunnar Squires (class of ’14) shares some words of wisdom with current students as he prepares to head to college at Pacific Lutheran University!
Today, the spotlight is on Mr. Cahill, our multi-talented middle school math teacher! This summer he has enjoyed spending quality time with his family, taking a trip to visit friends and family out east, and camping in the Redwoods. He is gearing up for the coming school year and, in addition to teaching math again he is excited to expand the Hand Chime Ensembles he introduced at our school last year and extending it to more grade levels. Mr. Cahill loves working in an environment where is able to learn and grow in his faith along with the students. His favorite thing about Ascension though is the community. “Everyone is always looking out for everyone else,” he says, “it doesn’t matter if you are a student, parent, teacher, staff, church member, or visitor – everyone is willing to lend a helping hand to make sure everyone is included.”
Mrs. Farrell has over 20 years of teaching experience, and she will be starting her 3rd school year here at Ascension as a middle school teacher and the 5th-grade homeroom teacher. She says her favorite thing about Ascension is the community stating, “I feel at home and that I belong at Ascension Lutheran School.” This summer she is enjoying spending time with friends and family and catching up on some reading! For the upcoming school year, she is looking forward to helping a new group of 5th graders to be successful in middle school!
Learn more about Middle School at Ascension
At Ascension, we truly believe that middle school should be a time for students to flourish, not to fear. It is our joy to see our students grow into bold, compassionate, and confident leaders through their middle school years. Our comprehensive approach, with a focus on educating the whole student in a caring Christian community, produces graduates who go on to excel in high school and beyond. Highlighted below are 14 ways we help ensure middle school students thrive at Ascension:
- Exceptional teachers who truly know and genuinely care for each student.
- Small class sizes (20 average class size) foster close relationships, lifelong friendships, and facilitate academic excellence.
- Hands-on service learning projects build compassion as students gain an understanding of some of the issues facing our world and how they can be part of the solution.
- Spanish class is incorporated in the schedule for all students. When students graduate from 8th grade they have completed the high school Spanish I curriculum and are prepared to advance to Spanish II if they choose.
- Leadership opportunities abound including athletics, student council, student ambassadors, leading worship, performing arts, and more.
- Music education is offered for all grade levels providing exposure to music history, composers, instruments, vocal performance, and more.
- Athletic teams are offered for grades 5-8 in football, volleyball, basketball, soccer, and co-ed volleyball. Ascension participates in the Tri-Valley Christian Athletic League.
- True electives where students choose from a different slate of courses each trimester.
- Annual Outdoor Education Trips provide students with enriching learning experiences that encourage them to grow personally, academically, and socially. These trips culminate in an 8th-grade class trip to Washington DC.
- Time learning outside! Our Outdoor Classroom and Organic Teaching Garden provide students with learning and growth opportunities beyond the classroom.
- Small peer advisory groups offer an avenue for leadership development, study skills, and deeper friendships to emerge.
- Valuable mentoring experience as our older students are paired with a younger buddy who the older students mentor and lead in a variety of learning activities and get to attend chapel together every week.
- Access to technology including our one to one iPad program, a mobile computer lab, and the Makerspace equips students as 21st-century learners and problem solvers with skills in coding and robotics.
- A strong faith foundation means students leave here grounded in a knowledge of who and whose they are.
Learn more about Ascension’s Middle School Program:
Our wonderful Kindergarten Teacher, Mrs. Payne truly loves the families at Ascension! As a teacher here since 2016, she has been blessed to have wonderful families each year and is looking forward to meeting and connecting with our newest families. She believes that it takes a village to raise a child, and she can’t wait to get our new village connected by sharing updates about the upcoming school year and getting acquainted at the Kindergarten Meet and Greet on August 23! She herself is also a parent of an Ascension student, so she experiences first-hand just how significant that strong community support is in a student’s life!
Learn more about Kindergarten at Ascension.
We hope all our Ascension families are enjoying a wonderful summer! As you prepare to come back to school (the first day is August 27!) be sure to download the school supply list for your child’s grade level:
- Transitional Kindergarten (Seedlings)
- Kindergarten (Sprouts)
- 1st Grade
- 2nd Grade
- 3rd Grade
- 4th Grade
- 5th Grade
- 6th Grade
- 7th Grade
- 8th Grade
Also, remember to mark your calendar with the key dates for the 2018/2019 School Year!
The 2018/19 School Calendars for both the Early Childhood Center (ALECC) and TK-8 campuses are now available! We are pleased to announce that, as a convenience to our families, we have aligned the start date as well as holidays and breaks throughout the year. The calendars listing these key dates can be downloaded here. Remember, the website calendar is the source for specific event dates.