Believe You Can Achieve!
“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
– Philipians 4:13
In 4th grade at Ascension, students often discover that they are capable of far more than they may have ever thought possible. “I love setting high expectations for each individual student and seeing them stretch and achieve beyond what they thought they are capable of,” said Mrs. Howland. If you walk by the 4th-grade class in the morning, you will hear the lovely voices of children singing a patriotic song. They then start the school day with their ‘morning work’. It’s a great way to set the tone for a day of engaging learning! 4th grade is a tremendous year of growth as Mrs. Howland is preparing students for the transition to Ascension’s middle school program (Grades 5-8) by helping them to become more organized, responsible and independent while also building their ability to work collaboratively on group projects. The curriculum extends beyond the academic, weaving in artistic projects, music, and faith to create a year of enriched learning experiences!
Highlights of the 4th-grade-year include:
- Students in 4th-grade love putting on the “Gold Dust or Bust” production that ties in wonderfully with their California history studies. This fun performance reinforces the curriculum through music and acting.
- Students learn about the California missions and especially enjoy the field trip to the Santa Barbara Mission.
- Literature studies become more involved in 4th grade and children especially look forward to reading Island of the Blue Dolphins.
Key Learning Objectives of 4th Grade:
- Reading and Literature: The focus in reading shifts to comprehension and application of reading skills. Vocabulary is emphasized through core literature books and often artistic projects are incorporated to enhance literature studies.
- Math: Students are learning more complex logic and reasoning with emphasis on addition/subtraction, graphs, data, problem-solving, multiplication/division, fractions, probability, and geometry.
- Science: The Science curriculum is a hands-on curriculum. Our 3 units cover the standards for 4th-grade Physical, Life and Earth Science. Physical Science includes the study of electricity and magnetism. Life Science includes the study of the food chain/food web, producers, consumers, decomposers, and ecosystems. Earth Science includes the study of rocks and minerals, erosion and weathering.
- Social Studies: The core of the curriculum is the study of California geography and history.
- Spanish: In the 3rd and 4th grades students should be able to: greet and respond to greetings, introduce and respond to introductions, express likes/dislikes, make requests, provide information, obtain information and express needs at a basic level in listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
- Religion: Each week students have a learn-by-heart Bible verse and Bible lessons are provided in class and re-enforced through chapel. We also focus on Biblically based character traits throughout the year to instill lifelong habits of servant leadership.
In addition to core academic subjects, 4th-grade students at Ascension continue to benefit from specialties such as Spanish and music class, Art-Trek, technology, and learning in the Organic Teaching Garden.